History
The following is a brief history/timeline of the Township of Dalton; it is not a complete list.
Multiple sources, some differing from others, have been used to compile this list.
INFORMATION ON THIS PAGE IS IN PROGRESS.
Compiled Information
Historical Timeline
???? - Gale Nichols, first white man, in section 3, made no land improvements. He kept a tavern and traded with the Indians (1) (2).
1856 - A. B. Buel was the first permanent resident of the Twin Lake territory. Buel platted the village of Twin Lake (1).
April 18, 1859 - The Town of Dalton was organized. The then town included the current area of Dalton Township and lands now located within Fruitland, Whitehall, Blue Lake, Holton, and Cedar Creek Townships.
1862 - B.F. Dow was considered the first permanent settler; he developed a fruit farm in section 30 (1) (2).
1863 - William Maltby was the first settler of the southeast section of the Township (1).
1865 - W. A. Hanchett settled near B.R. Junction (1).
1865 - A.B. Buel arrived and platted the Village of Twin Lake (1) (2). **see differing date above.
1866 - A. Clug settled in the Township; owner of the first saw mill, located at Dalton Station (1) (2).
1867 - Charles Buzzell settled in Section 1 (1).
1867 - Fox Lake School was the first school erected; later renamed the Knapp School. Miss Etta Odion was the first teacher.
1867 - Campbell & Armstrong built a second sawmill in the Township, the first at Twin Lake. Locally the sawmill was known as "Old Reliable" (1) (2).
1869 - Henry Lyman settled near Twin Lake (1). Henry was later elected Dalton Township Clerk in 1881. He passed away in 1934 and is buried in Dalton's Twin Lake Cemetery, he is recorded as a US Veteran.
1869 - H. Thompson settled (1).
1881 - E.R. Ford's steam saw mill was built on Twin Lake in the fall. Both I.E. Latimer's and Ford's steam saw mills were the only mills remaining at Twin Lake in 1882 (2).
1882 - Mr. Putnam was in charge of the railway station. Telegraph operator and deputy postmaster at this time was also Mr. Putnam. Warren Odion was the postmaster (2). Warren later passed in 1934 and is buried in Dalton's Twin Lake Cemetery, he is recorded as a US Veteran.
1882 - Mr. N. R. Dreyer, Clerk of Holton Township at the time, was in charge of the school (2).
Additional Early Settlers: William Moore, James H. Gardner, William Steinburg, Alonzo Yager, Charles Nord, William F. Stone, James Gardner, James Armstrong, and Asahel Fowler (1) (2). *more information on these persons requested*
Township Owned Properties:
?: Previous Township Hall located on the corner of Staple and Riley Thompson; now a privately owned residence.
1945 Previous Fire Station #1 was located in Lakewood Club, the building is now used by the Village of Lakewood Club's Department of Public Works.
Previous Fire Station #2 was located in Twin Lake.
1952: The Twin Lake Cemetery Association Deeded the Twin Lake Rural Cemetery to Dalton Township. It is now referred to as the Twin Lake Cemetery.
1978: The current Township Hall was built at 1616 E. Riley Thompson Rd.
1995: The current Fire Station was built at 1650 E. Riley Thompson Rd.
Clerks, Supervisors, Treasurers
| 1859-1860 Clerk: Moses Hall Supervisor: P. Dalton Treasurer: |
1861 Clerk: O. F. Pear Supervisor: P. Dalton Treasurer: |
1862-1863 Clerk: A. Mears Supervisor: S. C. Hall Treasurer: |
1864 Clerk: J. D. Sturtevant Supervisor: S. C. Hall Treasurer: |
| 1865 Clerk: A. B. Speed Supervisor: Hiram Stearns Treasurer: |
1866 Clerk: R. N. Poulson Supervisor: H. S. Tyler Treasurer: |
1867 Clerk: G. W. Cowen Supervisor: H. S. Tyler Treasurer |
1868 Clerk: G. W. Cowen Supervisor: H. S. Tyler Treasurer |
| 1869 Clerk: G. W. Cowen Supervisor: H. S. Tyler Treasurer: |
1870-1872 Clerk: G. W. Cowen Supervisor: B. F. Dow Treasurer: |
1873 Clerk: G. W. Cowen Supervisor: Ira D. Trumbull Treasurer: |
1874 Clerk: Geo. McMillan Supervisor: B. F. Dow Treasurer: |
| 1875-1880 Clerk: C. L. Buzzell Supervisor: Geo. McMillan Treasurer: |
1881 Clerk: Henry Lyman Supervisor: C. L. Buzzell Treasurer: |
1940 | 1944 |
| 1948 | 1952 | 1956 | 1960 |
| 1964 | 1968 Clerk: Harvey Lund Supervisor: Treasurer: |
1972 Clerk: Edith Simpson Supervisor: Treasurer: |
1978 Clerk: Clarence Furman Supervisor: Bud Hovey, resigned Willaim Humphrey, appointed Treasurer: Ruth A. Buell |
| 1980 Clerk: Ronace Zielinski Supervisor: Robert Anderson Treasurer: Florence Bowman |
1986 Clerk: Supervisor: Merle Hittle Treasurer: Bob Frain |
Nov. 2004 Election Clerk: Mary Ellen Sherwood Supervisor: Scott Hldaki Treasurer: Rosemary Rinella |
Nov. 2008 Election Clerk: Mary Ellen Sherwood, resigned Tracy L DeMarse, appointed Supervisor: Chris Hall Treasurer: Elizabeth Jenkins |
| Nov. 2012 Election Clerk: Tracy L. DeMarse, resigned Mary Ann Wallace, appointed Supervisor: Chris Hall, resigned Jerry McIntyre, appointed. Treasurer: Elizabeth Jenkins |
Nov. 2016 Election Clerk: Mary Ann Wallace, resigned Lori Hayes, appointed. Supervisor: Tony Barnes Treasurer: Elizabeth Jenkins, resigned Tammy Stephenson, appointed. |
Nov. 2020 Election Clerk: Lori Hayes-resigned Tracy L. DeMarse, appointed Supervisor: Jeffrey Alexander Martin Treasurer: Gerold Flater-resigned Kelly Mazurkiewicz, appointed-resigned Kristy Miles, appointed |

Instagram link
Twitter link
Twitter link